Friday, October 24, 2008

Crazy Market

Before I start, I will give a brief background to my trading career. I started trading in 1999. If you called whacking a pinata trading, then I was trading back then. Basically, I was trading because of reasons like the company's name sounds cool, the ticker has the same exact alphabets as my nickname, I have money which my grandpa gave me so let's burn it etc etc.

I dabbled in stocks for a few years before being disillusioned into thinking options is the way to go. And that was bad too. I was constantly trying to find the holy grail of trading. Then I read a book. Don't ask me what book or who the author was cause I don't remember any damn thing about it. I don't remember the exact phrase, but the jist of the message is this. When you are doing something and it is not yielding any result. Take a step back and do it in a DIFFERENT manner. You do not persevere and keep knocking your head into the wall.

So, when stocks did not work, I went into options, and when that failed too, I went into futures. And this is what I am doing now. In fact, I am solely trading the E Mini Dow.

I have been trading the mini dow for almost 2 years now. The last 1 year, I am glad to say I have been able to trade it with consistent profits. When you first start trading, there would be a lot of naysayers. They will tell you things like trading does not work. In fact if you look at the numbers. 95% of the time you will fail. Even though it might seem crazy to think that you could be that 5% that succeeds, I believe it can be done. You just need to have the guts and the money to fail again and again and again until you get all your emotions dead and numb.

Ok time for Dut's Lesson #1.
Trading is not easy!
If you are going into trading thinking it is easy money and that you can just do this on the side with no effort. Then please wire your money to DBS bank Singapore savings account 104-04116-7 since you are going to lose the money anyway.

The biggest reason people fail in trading is that trading screws you up mentally. It is just there waiting for you to screw yourself up. And when money is involved, this screwing up is magnified like a gazzilion times.When you are making money all is fine. You keep making and making and making. Then you make one loss and all your emotions and your brain would just go out the window. You would start making every possible stupid decisions to be made to chase that one loss you made.

If you read up, in general, in order for a trader to start seeing results, the minimum is 3 years. So this is like 3 years of losing your money again and again and again before you can even start making money. So if you hear any one out there promising that trading is easy and you can do it too! You should shove his head up his ass and ask him to do himself.

No comments: